As a student at Georgia State University, you're situated in the heart of downtown Atlanta, one of the most vibrant and exciting cities in the United States. Whether you're a local or a transplant, there's always something new to discover in the downtown area, from world-class museums and theaters to fantastic restaurants and shops.
To help you make the most of your time in downtown Atlanta, we've put together this guide highlighting some of the best things to do, see, and eat. Whether you're looking for a fun night out with friends or a quiet spot to study, there's something here for everyone.
Things to Do
- Visit the Georgia Aquarium: This world-renowned aquarium is home to thousands of animals from around the globe, including whales, dolphins, penguins, and sharks. As a GSU student, you can get discounted tickets through the university.
- Explore the Martin Luther King Jr. National Historic Site: Located just a few blocks from campus, this site includes the birth home and final resting place of Dr. King, as well as a museum dedicated to his life and legacy.
- Catch a show at the Fox Theatre: This iconic theater has been entertaining audiences since 1929 and hosts a wide range of performances, from Broadway shows and concerts to comedy and dance.
- Walk through Centennial Olympic Park: This 21-acre park was built for the 1996 Olympic Games and features fountains, gardens, and walking paths. It's a great spot for a picnic or a game of frisbee.
- Check out the High Museum of Art: This museum boasts an impressive collection of art from around the world, including works by artists such as Monet, Warhol, and O'Keeffe. GSU students get free admission with their PantherCard.
Places to Eat
- Sweet Auburn Curb Market: This historic market has been a downtown Atlanta institution since 1924 and features a wide range of vendors selling everything from fresh produce to gourmet desserts.
- Ponce City Market: This massive development includes dozens of restaurants, shops, and entertainment options, all housed in a beautifully renovated historic building.
- Busy Bee Cafe: This soul food restaurant has been a local favorite since 1947, serving up classics like fried chicken, mac and cheese, and collard greens.
- The Varsity: This iconic fast food joint has been a staple in Atlanta since 1928 and is famous for its chili dogs, onion rings, and frosted orange drinks.
- Tin Lizzy's Cantina: This lively Tex-Mex restaurant is a great spot for a margarita and some tacos with friends.
Whether you're a freshman or a senior, there's always something new to discover in downtown Atlanta. So get out there and explore all that this incredible city has to offer!
Looking for some new Georgia State merch? Show off your panther pride with our GSU collection!